Sample alcohol policy
Below is sample of what to include in your club's alcohol policy.
The guidelines for serving alcohol are to ensure the safety and well-being of every person that attends the club premises. Alcohol will be served in accordance with the club’s values and requirements of the club’s liquor licence, which includes but is not limited to:
- Alcohol will only be consumed in licensed areas (change rooms are not a licensed area)
- Alcohol will only be served in standard drink measures
- An Approved Manager will be on duty when the bar is open
- Bar staff will be Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) trained
- Bar staff will not consume alcohol whilst on shift
- Free drinking water will be provided when the bar is open
- Persons aged under 18 will not be allowed behind the bar under any circumstances
- The liquor licence will be displayed at the bar.
- Alcohol will not be served to any person who is intoxicated
- Signs of intoxication include slurred speech, impaired balance, poor coordination, reduced inhibition, becoming aggressive or belligerent, and exhibiting inappropriate behaviour and it is reasonable in the circumstances to believe that the impairment results from the consumption of alcohol
- Bar staff will follow procedures provided in their RSA training for dealing with and refusing alcohol to intoxicated patrons, this includes refusing to serve alcohol to any patron they believe is becoming intoxicated
- Approved Manager on duty will not overrule a decision made by bar staff to refuse service to a patron
- Patrons will not supply alcohol to any other person who is intoxicated or who has been refused service by bar staff
- Intoxicated patrons will be asked to leave the club.
- No alcohol will be sold or supplied to a person aged under 18
- Only one of the following approved forms of photographic ID will be accepted
- Current Australian driver’s licence with a photograph
- Current passport
- Proof of Age Card or Photo Card issued by any Australian state or territory
- Australian Learner Driver Permit card with a photograph.
- Staff will request proof of age of any person they believe to be aged under 18
Note for committee members – it is recommended that the club consider demonstrating its support of the responsible consumption of alcohol by selecting and adopting the following relevant practises:
- Approved manager/bar staff will encourage all patrons to take safe transport home
- Taxi phone numbers will be displayed in the club
- The club will implement a designated driver program e.g. drink card entitling person to two free soft drinks, a roster of club members to transport members home after club functions.
Promoting the responsible consumption of alcohol
- Alcohol advertising should only appear at the bar
- Consider options other than alcohol to be used as prizes/awards
- Food, including healthy options, will be available when the bar is open
- Low or non-alcohol drinks priced considerably cheaper
- No advertising, promotion or serving of alcohol at junior events
- No ‘all you can drink’ functions, drinking competitions or event names that promote getting drunk or imply that getting drunk is desirable
- No smoking in licensed areas
- The club will provide alcohol-free social events for young people and families
- The club will pursue non-alcohol revenue sources
- The club will not endorse any celebrations, functions or end of season events that involve excessive consumption of alcohol.
Responsibilities of club members, coaches, officials, parents, and players
- Consume alcohol responsibly at the club, all club functions and away trips
- Do not arrive at a home or away game under the influence of alcohol
- Do not bring alcohol to the club or to away games
- Do not consume alcohol if you are aged under 18
- Do not supply alcohol to intoxicated team members or anyone aged under 18
- Do not encourage others to drink excessively or take part in team bonding activities that involve excessive consumption of alcohol
- Do not spike another person’s drink
- Do not wear the club shirt/uniform to a licensed venue other than the club or an away game club
Whilst the club will undertake to educate club members, coaches, officials, parents, and players about the alcohol policy through promotion in club newsletters, website / social media sites and within the club walls, it is the responsibility of each individual to access this information.
I understand that as a club member, coach, official, parent, or player I am expected to comply by the responsibilities outlined in this alcohol policy and any breaches can result in the club taking disciplinary action towards me in accordance with the club’s [INSERT POLICY e.g. grievance policy].
I, [INSERT NAME] have read and understood the alcohol policy and will abide by it as a member of [INSERT CLUB NAME]
If aged under 18, parent/guardian