International Sporting Leave for State Government employees
The Department is responsible for providing advice to all Western Australian public sector organisations regarding their employees eligibility to receive special leave with pay when representing Australia at international sporting events.
The Department assesses requests, provides advice and recommends the amount of leave to be approved if applicable – however the final decision to grant International Sporting Leave does remain at the discretion of the Director General or CEO of the employing agency of the applicant.
Applying for International Sporting Leave
Under the Public Service Award 1992 Clause 40 – International Sporting Leave, public service employees who are selected as a competitor, coach, manager or official—regardless of any age categories and notwithstanding all other eligibility requirements—are entitled to receive special leave with pay.
This leave includes:
- Up to five days allowing for travel, acclimatisation and mandatory training prior to the competition
- The period of the competition
- Up to two days to return to place of residence.
Assessment and approvals
The Department assesses all requests for International Sporting Leave and provides advice based on the Public Service Award Criteria and the recommended leave to be approved if applicable – however the final decision to grant International Sport Leave remains at the discretion of the Director General or CEO of the employing agency of the applicant.
Guidelines for applicants
The International Sporting Leave – Guidelines for Interpretation provides information and lists all criteria considered by the Department when assessing an application. It is recommended that applicants read these guidelines prior to submitting a request for leave.
If you have any further questions, or to apply for International Sporting Leave, please contact the Assessing Officer - International Sporting Leave.
Do you fit the criteria? A quick check list:
A list of the key criteria required to be approved for International Sporting Leave is provided below. If you answer no to any of these, you may not be eligible to receive leave:
- I am a competitor/coach/manager or official.
- The event is sanctioned by the National Sporting Organisation (NSO).
- The NSO is recognised by the Australian Sports Commission.
- The event is on the International Federation (IF) Calendar of Events.
- The sport has a State Sporting Association (SSA) or Affiliated Body recognised by the Department (these sports are deemed a Sport of National Significance in Western Australia).
- It is a world or international competition with more than four countries competing.
- I have written confirmation from NSO/IF that I have been selected to participate AND will receive no contribution to my normal salary.
- The event is not limited to a specific group of people such as the Police and Fireman Games.
Frequently asked questions
The Department receives a large number of questions about International Sporting Leave including which sports, events and associations are recognised and the definition of selection.
Contacting the Assessing Officer for more information.
Team Leader - Organisational Development
Telephone 08 9492 9753
Email Grant Trew