Information for parents

KidSport eligibility

  1. Applicant must be aged 5 to 18 years.
  2. Applicant must be named on a valid Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card, with their individual Centrelink Client Reference Number (CRN) clearly displayed on the uploaded card.
  3. Registration must be for a KidSport approved club. Search through Find a Club.

How much funding is available?

A maximum of $150 per calendar year is available per eligible child. This can be used across multiple sports.

KidSport must be used at point of payment, refunds will not be given for club fees that have already been paid. This means that you must be approved for KidSport and have your code when paying fees – please remember to allow enough time for your application to be processed before your child’s season starts.

Where can I use KidSport?

KidSport eligible clubs are available through Find a Club

Application process

  1. Check your child is eligible.
  2. Find an approved club.
  3. Apply online (or via hard copy application if you don’t have access to the internet) .
  4. Your local government or the KidSport team will assess the application.

If approved,

  • You will be sent an email with a voucher code. 
  • You will need to provide the voucher code to your chosen KidSport club when registering with them.
  • *Note - If the club fees are above the approved KidSport voucher amount you will need to pay the difference. 
  • The club will validate your voucher code and be paid directly by the department. 
  • Remember, the voucher code will expire within 90 days of the approval date. 

If unsuccessful,

  • You will be sent an email advising that you are unsuccessful. 
  • If you have any questions, contact your local government or the KidSport team. 

Apply online

Have a copy of your Health Care or Pensioner Concession Card ready.

Apply online

Club search

Find a KidSport approved club. 

Find a club

Frequently Asked Questions

Is my child eligible for KidSport?

All Western Australian children aged 5 to 18 named on a valid Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card are eligible for KidSport. Please ensure the child's individual Centrelink Client Reference Number (CRN) is on the card. 

Which clubs can I use KidSport for?

Search for approved KidSport clubs through Find a Club. To ensure it is a KidSport approved club you must tick the KidSport club box in your search.

I don’t have access to the internet, how can I apply?

Please consider visiting your local library or local government administration building and use a computer to submit the online application form. Alternatively, hard copy application forms are available at most local governments.

Can the vouchers expire?

From 1 January 2018, all voucher codes will have a 90-day expiry from the date you receive the approval email. If for some reason you are unable to provide the club with the code within the 90 days and the code expires, you can simply reapply online (if in the appropriate calendar year).

Is the application form available in other languages? 

Yes, please email the KidSport team if you require any KidSport information in alternative languages. 

What will I need to apply for KidSport online?

Please ensure you have a photo of your Health Care or Pensioner Concession Card so it is ready to attach as a file online. Please ensure the child's name and individual Centrelink Client Reference Number (CRN) is listed and the card has not expired.

I have applied for KidSport before – do I need to apply again?

You must still apply for KidSport every calendar year. As long as you continue to meet the KidSport criteria, simply apply online and select ‘yes’ to your child being registered for KidSport funding before. This will then pull up all last known details to assist you in completing the application quicker.

On the online form, what local government area do I select for my child?

Please use the local government (council) that your child lives in. It doesn’t matter if the child is playing sport outside of this area.

How will I be notified about whether my application is successful?

Please provide a valid email address when applying for Kidsport. This is used for all correspondence from the KidSport team. You will receive an email as soon as your application has been approved or deemed unsuccessful. This is usually within 10 business days of your application being submitted.

Who do I contact to find out the status of my child’s application?

Remember to check your email as this is how the KidSport team will communicate with you. Emails will come from and may go to your junk inbox depending on your email filters. If you have not received an email within 10 business days of applying then please contact your local government or the KidSport team. 

Can the $150 be split between multiple sports?

Yes, KidSport is claimable for multiple sports, for a maximum amount of $150 per year. The parent/guardian can choose how much to allocate per sport. You will need to submit one application per sport.

How do I find out if my child has any funding remaining for the year?

This can be done by starting an application, at the top of the second page a yellow banner will be able to show you how much funding remains for your child that year. 

I have already paid my club fees in full, can I get a refund with KidSport?

Retrospective fees are not payable through KidSport. Your KidSport code can only be used at the time of registration/payment.

I accidentally selected the wrong club/amount on my application, can I change this?

This can be changed by contacting either your local government or by emailing the KidSport team.

I haven't received/misplaced the code, who should I contact?

Contact your local government or email the KidSport team.

What do I do if my preferred club isn't an approved KidSport club?

Unfortunately, unless the club is registered as an approved Kidsport club you cannot receive KidSport funding to help cover fees. Please contact your club to see if they are interested in becoming a KidSport approved club. More information on club eligibility and club processes can be found on the information for clubs page

Are uniform or equipment costs eligible under KidSport?

KidSport can only be used for registration fees and not the purchase of uniform or equipment. If you are looking for ways to keep the cost of playing sport down, we suggest you contact your club to see if they have second-hand uniforms and equipment, or try organisations such as Fair Game who help out with recycled equipment.

What if my child turns 5 or 19 during the season, are they still eligible?

If your child will be 5 for the majority of the playing season, then the Kidsport application will still be considered. If your child is 18 at the time of application they will still be eligible for KidSport.

Can my child participate at a club outside our local government area?

Yes, but when completing the KidSport application online you must select the local government in which you reside.

Who do I contact if my child's application was unsuccessful?

Please contact your local government or email the KidSport team.

Common reasons for applications being unsuccessful include: child did not meet eligibility, concession card was not readable or the funding request was over the child's remaining KidSport balance.

I don’t have a health care card or pensioner concession card, can I still receive KidSport funding?

KidSport funding is an initiative to support low income families, therefore a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card is required. If your family is experiencing financial hardship as a result of an unforeseen situation you may be eligible to access KidSport without a concession card if you meet one of the KidSport financial exceptions. Eligible individuals can only be approved through a financial exception once.

I am having problems with the online application form?

If you can’t find your answer, email the KidSport team