WA Coach Leadership Series
The Department of Sport and Recreation has partnered with The University of Western Australia to deliver a pilot Coach Leadership Series in Western Australia. This is a series of 2-day modules that are designed to assist in the development of effective leadership capability (skills) and capacity (energy) among individuals working in high performance sporting contexts. This series has a priority target audience of WA high performance coaches, and secondary target audience of WA high performance leaders.
Each module will be delivered by faculty from The University of Western Australia School of Human Sciences with contributions from high performance sport leaders.
Modules delivered during business hours between 9am–5pm (approximately), so applicants will need to be available during these hours. All modules will be delivered at The University of WA campus. Applicants should note these dates in their calendars until the candidates are selected and confirmed.
9am–5pm Tuesday 20 and Wednesday 21 June 2017
This 2-day module explores the concepts of self-awareness, emotional intelligence, self-leadership, resilience and mental toughness.
- Self-rating of mental toughness, resilience, coping styles and subjective wellbeing
- Interpretation of Realise2 (strengths identification) and DISC (behavioral and relationship style) profiles
- The importance of emotional intelligence to leadership and high quality relationships;
- Capacity to challenge own and system’s assumptions
- The dynamic nature of the role that demands coaches to be ‘change ready’
- Recognising ‘competing commitments’, ambiguity and working ‘emergently’.
9am–5pm Tuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 July 2017
This 2-day module explores ethical leadership behaviors, creating value driven cultures, facilitating organisation-wide strategic planning, and conflict management.
- Not just the ‘what’ and the ‘how’. Ethical approaches to coaching and decision-making
- Holding multiple perspectives and questioning underpinning assumptions for integrity
- Values alignment, organizing principles and rules of engagement
- Managing high profile athletes. Inviting them to take responsibility of their performance
- High level communication skills. Dynamics of information overload
- Managing difficult situations and conflict, and developing negotiation skills.
Understanding How to Leverage the Whole System
9am–5pm Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 November 2017
This 2-day module explores the means of engaging individuals and teams within organisations in a way that builds collaborative capacity in ourselves but also with the whole high performance sporting system.
- Putting your strengths to work
- Exploring Adaptive Challenges and appreciating Adaptive Challenge Archetypes
- Developing agile high performance team cultures
- Strengthening media skills and communicating with the public.
9am–5pm Tuesday 12 and Wednesday 13 December 2017
This 2-day module explores the concepts related to motivating individuals and teams.
- Using principles from Self-Determination Theory to foster intrinsic motivation
- Learning and applying psychological/mental skills training
- Motivational Interviewing - open-ended questions, affirmations, and reflective listening
- Embedding mindfulness practices and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Developing self-compassion and the ‘art of playing badly well’
- Creating the Third Space for coaches and athletes.