A squash court is a rectangular box with four vertical walls of varying height. These walls are known as the front wall, side walls and back wall. The front wall line, side wall line, back wall line and upper 50mm of the tin are shaped to deflect any ball that strikes them.
The court has a level floor and a clear height above the court area.
The length, width and diagonal of the court are measured at a height of 10cm above the floor.
Squash courts are also used for racquetball.
Singles squash court
The dimensions of a standard squash court are:
- Length of court is 9.75m.
- Width of court is 6.4m.
- Diagonal is 11.665m.
- Height from floor to lower edge of front wall line is 4.57m.
- Height from floor to lower edge of back wall line is 2.13m.
- Height from floor to lower edge of service line on front wall is 1.780m.
- Height from floor to top of the tin is 4.8m.
- Distance to nearest edge of short line from back wall is 4.26m.
- Dimensions of service boxes is 1.600m.
- Width of all lines and upper section of tin is 5cm.
- Minimum clear height above court floor is 5.640m.
The floor is a hard smooth surface with limited spring. It has a matt finish and is generally a natural wood colour.
The three horizontal markings on the front wall are the front wall line, the service line and the upper 50mm of the tin. All edges of the tin are rounded and the tin makes a distinctive noise when struck by the ball.
The back wall line is the only horizontal court marking on the back wall.
The side wall line is angled between the front wall line and the back wall line.
There is a short line, half court line and two service boxes marked on the floor. The short line is parallel to the front and back walls of the court and is 4.26m.
The half court line is parallel to and equidistant from the side walls. It runs from the back wall to the short line.
There are two service boxes, one on each side of the court behind the short line. Each service box is bounded on three sides by lines and on the fourth side by one of the walls.
The door to the court is located in the middle of the back wall and opens into the court. The door is no more than 900mm wide and 2130mm high.
Doubles/hardball squash court
The dimensions of a doubles/hardball squash court are:
- Length of court between playing surfaces is 13.72m.
- Width of court between playing surfaces is 7.62m.
- Diagonal is 15.69m.
- Height above floor to lower edge of front wall line is 6.09m.
- Height above floor to lower edge of back wall line is 2.13m.
- Height from floor to upper edge of service line on front wall is 2.46m.
- Height from floor to top of the tin is 4.3m.
- Distance to nearest edge of short line from back wall is 4.57m.
- Dimensions of quadrant service boxes is 1.37m2
- Width of all lines and the board is 38mm.
- Minimum clear height above the floor of the court is 7.31m.
Specifications for Squash Courts 2013. World Squash Federation. Squash Australia. 1 June 2015. www.squash.org.au/sqaus/development/squash_builders_specifications.htm
The information in this guide is general in nature and cannot be relied upon as professional advice concerning the design of, or marking out for, sporting facilities and playing areas. No assurance is given as to the accuracy of any information contained in this guide and readers should not rely on its accuracy. Readers should obtain their own independent and professional advice in relation to their proposed sporting activity.