Scholarships for country athletes open
Regional athletes working towards representing Western Australia, and ultimately Australia, may be eligible for funding assistance.
18 December 2012
Applications for the Department of Sport and Recreation’s (DSR’s) Country Athlete Scholarships 2012/13 are now open. Offered by the department since 1995, the scholarships can be used to offset costs to access training, competitions, development camps, coaches and facilities to improve their performance.
Over the years, these scholarships have helped hundreds of country athletes, many from our region, to address hurdles such as distance from facilities, competitions, development opportunities and coaches and go on to achieve their sporting goals.
With previous recipients including members of the Australian London Olympic Team and others who have reached the pinnacle of their sport, it’s no stretch to say this year’s recipients could be the next big names in WA sport.
Previous recipients include:
- Fremantle Dockers AFL player, Anthony Morabito – scholarship recipient 2008 & 2009
- 2012 Australian Olympic Team, BMX, Lauren Reynolds – scholarship recipient 2008, 2009 & 2010
- 2012 Australian Olympic Team, cycling, Scott Sunderland – scholarship recipient 2001, 2002 & 2003
- 2012 Australian Olympic Team basketball (Australian Boomers), Mark Worthington – scholarship recipient 1998 & 2000
- International professional golfer, Kristie Smith – scholarship recipient 2003, 2004 & 2005
Applications close on
Friday 31 August 2012 and must be made by the athlete’s relevant State Sporting
Association (SSA) on their behalf. Interested athletes should contact their SSA
for further information.