Peel athletes score scholarships
Congratulations to the Peel athletes awarded Smarter than Smoking Country Sport Scholarships for 2010. Forty-one athletes from the region have been awarded scholarships this year out of a pool of about 250 applications State-wide
01 October 2010
Local 2010 recipients include:
- Annika Jones (Serpentine/swimming)
- Davis Blackwell (Bouvard/bodyboarding)
- Dylan Odorisio, (Waroona/wakeboarding)
- Harley Bennell (Coodanup/AFL football)
- Kamdyn McIntosh (Raveswood/AFL football)
- Blayne Wilson (South Yunderup/AFL football)
- Jarrad Nagtegall (Stakehill/eight ball)
- Tyren Nagtegaal (Stakehill/volleyball)
- Timothy Bailey (Mandurah/water polo)
- Katie Schoeppner (Meadow Springs/athletics)
The scholarships are now in their sixteenth year and assist young regional athletes to overcome barriers such as distance from facilities, competitions, development opportunities and coaches in their pursuit of State and national representation.
Among the many past recipients who have gone on to achieve great things in their sport are:
- Kylee & Ben Graham (Falcon, Mandurah/dancesport) – Represented Australia at Junior World Championships.
- Jodi Tiver (Pinjarra/polocrosse) – Selected to represent Australia at the 2011 World Cup to be held in the United Kingdom.
- Jaimi Andrews (San Remo/water skiing) – Represented Australia in the Aussie/Kiwi tournament held in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Jaymes Ballantyne (Mandurah/karate) – Selected to represent Australia in the under 21’s at the US Open to be held in Las Vegas in April 2011.