There are fantastic benefits to serving on a Sport and / or Recreation Board, especially if you want to use your skills and passion to make an impact on a non-profit organisation.
The Governance for Sports and Recreation Boards course, offered by the Department of Sport and Recreation in conjunction with the Australian Institute of Management WA, is designed for directors and members of boards of State Sporting Associations and Peak Industry bodies. Participation will give you a understanding of governance principles that align with best practice in the sector.
Session 1: Director and Board: Roles and Responsibilities - Tuesday 16 May 2017
Session 1 introduces the roles of the board and directors of sporting organisations
• Identify the key concepts of governance
• Explain the key functions of a board and its directors
• Outline the essential responsibilities of directors
• Identify key stakeholder relationships
• Ascertain appropriate governance frameworks
• Determine optimal Board composition
• Review Board processes
Session 2: Financial Oversight - Tuesday 23 May 2017
Session 2 familiarises directors with their duties as they relate to key financial concepts and statements.
• Identify key financial statements
• Recognise director’s duties regarding financial statements and reports
• Explore how to question financial statements and how to determine the financial health of the organisation
Session 3: Strategy and Risk - Thursday 1 June 2017
Session 3 introduces directors to the Board’s role in strategy and risk
• Identify a board’s role in strategic oversight
• Identify how to contribute and influence discussion around strategic direction
• Determine the links between strategy, risk and financial health
Session 4: Board Matters - Tuesday 6 June 2017
Session 4 gives directors further experience in strategy and risk oversight.
• Identify major organisational risks
• Understand the role of compliance
• Determine organisational risk appetite, risk management, risk culture and effective risk leadership
• Determine risk management and mitigation strategies
Who is eligible to attend
New directors (less than 5 years’ experience) serving on State Sporting Association or Peak Body boards or committees in the sport and recreation industry.
The program will be delivered over four consecutive weeks. You must commit to attending all four sessions.
The program includes pre and post self-assessment of knowledge, Board meeting simulations and/or case studies with sports governance related issues and post program activities. The activities reinforce the concepts and skills learned and facilitate the transfer of learning into real work situations.
How to apply
If you are interested in attending, complete the online application form no later than 4pm Tuesday 9 May 2017. All applicants will be considered and notified of their outcome, following an assessment process.