Understanding Indigenous participation in sport and physical activity may help to identify ways to encourage Indigenous Australians to become more active.
Download this document
Participation in sport and physical activity is important for the health and wellbeing of the Indigenous population. It provides a range of benefits including increased self-esteem, social and community cohesion, improvements in health and overall wellbeing. Lack of exercise increases the risk of developing health conditions such as obesity, diabetes and heart disease, and the rate of these illnesses is high in the Indigenous Australian population.
An understanding of Indigenous participation in sport and physical activity may help to identify ways to encourage Indigenous Australians to become more active.
- Active recreation
- Active women
- Benefits of physical activity
- Coaching and officiating
- Costs of physical inactivity
- Cycling for physical activity
- High performance
- Incidental Physical Activity
- Junior participation
- Less active population groups
- Motivators and barriers in physical activity
- Non-organised sport and physical activity
- Organised sport and physical activity
- Participation of Australians aged 15 and over
- Senior participation
- Social trends
- Social trends summary
- Walking for physical activity