- Increase participation of the target group in community sport and active recreation
- Provide sport and active recreation volunteer and leadership opportunities for the target group
- Increase partnerships between community service organisations, sports and community clubs
- Increase participant wellbeing and self-esteem through connection to the community.
Who can apply?
- Incorporated not-for-profit organisations (including State Sporting Associations)
- Metropolitan and regional local governments.
What you must have to be eligible to apply
- Be incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 2015 (Western Australia)
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Current public liability insurance (certificate of currency to be provided)
- Have acquitted all previous Department of Sport and Recreation (DSR) grants prior to the application being submitted, unless the grant is still current
- Projects are not to commence before approval has been granted by the department. No retrospective funding will be eligible.
Project includes essential program components
Questions 2, 3 and 4 on application form.
Essential program components:
Question 5 on application form.
- Project enlists appropriate strategies to engage the target group
- Organisation has demonstrated experience in working with disengaged youth.
Partnerships and engagement
Questions 6 and 7 on application form.
- Proposed project is supported in partnership with other organisations through in-kind and/or financial assistance
- Program is developed in consultation with local community members and service providers.
Capacity to deliver
Questions 8, 9 and 11 on application form.
Project legacy and evaluation
Question 10 on application form.
- Applicant proposed adequate strategies to sustain project outcomes beyond the funding period and to evaluate project objectives.
What is the application process?
- Read the Youth Engagement Scheme Grant Guidelines
- For projects in the metropolitan area please contact the Department's Community Inclusion team on 9492 9700 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your application. For projects in regional Western Australia please contact your local Department of Sport and Recreation office
- Complete the grant application form
- Submit your application electronically or by hardcopy to the Department no later than 5pm on the 30 September 2016 (electronic versions are preferred).
- Applications will be assessed by a panel coordinated by the Department.
- The Department will endeavor to advise all applicants of the outcome of the assessment process by December 2016.
What the funding can be used for
- Coaching clinics
- Training of volunteers
- Program coordinators
- Coaching courses
- Referee/umpire courses
- Workshop facilitation
- Promotional costs (not including merchandise)
- Venue hire
- Equipment hire
- Administration (to a maximum of 10% of total grant amount)
- Catering for program participants (to a maximum of 10% of total grant amount)*
- Transport of participants to/from programs (to a maximum of 10% of total grant amount)*.
*Please note applicants must demonstrate how catering and transport are integral to successful program delivery for these items to be considered in project budgets.
What is not considered for funding
- Any program delivery outside of Western Australia
- Any proposed program targeting school-children within school hours
- Merchandise (e.g. clothing, water bottles, mugs, key rings, etc.)
- Prize money/trophies
- Individual membership fees (note: individuals may be eligible for KidSport which provides a club membership subsidy of up to $200 per year to eligible children)
- Additional funds for a project already funded by a the Department grant program
- One-off camps and events
- Purchase of equipment (note: applicants may be eligible for the Community Sporting Club Equipment Subsidy Scheme which provides funding for purchase of shared equipment).
Applicants may request funding up to $40,000. Projects must commence between 1 January and 30 May 2017. Projects that include partnerships will be viewed favourably.
Successful applicants will be required to acknowledge the Department of Sport and Recreation. Details will be included in successful applicant’s grant agreements.
If you have any queries about your eligibility or the details when applying for this grant, please contact the Department of Sport and Recreation on 08 9492 9700 or email email@example.com.