North West Travel Subsidy
North West Travel Subsidy aims to assist young athletes from the North West with travel costs.
It aims to encourage participation in identified sport and active recreation activities for athletes (13-18 years) living in the regions of the Kimberley, Pilbara and Gascoyne who are yet to qualify for State team representation. Funding amounts may vary between regions.
North West Travel Subsidy is not an open funding scheme and is only available to athletes by way of application from their Regional or State Sporting Association or another relevant not-for-profit organisation approved by the Department of Sport and Recreation (DSR).
It is designed to support young North West athletes who have the potential to progress along their sport’s talent pathway and need an opportunity to experience higher level competition not necessarily available in their own region or do not have access to talent identification activities.
This scheme is only available to young people aged 13-18 residing in the regions of:
What will be supported
Travel to events or competitions that are sanctioned by the State Sporting Association within existing talent pathways based outside the immediate region in which the athlete resides that provide a talent development or talent identification opportunity.
Athlete eligibility criteria
- Athletes travelling must be between the ages of 13–18 years.
- The event or competition must be sanctioned by the Regional or State Sporting Association.
- The event or competition must be held in a region other than the one the athlete resides in (intra-region travel requirements may be considered based on the nature of the event or championship and are to be discussed with the relevant DSR Regional Manager).
- The event or competition must be aligned to a sport deemed eligible by the Department.
- The event or competition must provide a talent development or talent identification opportunity.
Organisation eligibility (for application)
- State Sporting Associations or Regional Sporting Associations, Clubs or relevant not-for-profit organisations recognised as the ‘peak’ regional representative body for the sport in the region (in the absence of a suitable sport organisation, a Local Government is eligible to apply).
- Incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 2015 (Western Australia).
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Be affiliated or have a current Memorandum of Understanding with a State Sporting Association recognised by the Department.
- Have acquitted all previous grants received from the Department prior to the application being submitted unless the grant is still current.
What will not be supported
- Applications for travel eligible under the Athlete Travel Subsidy Scheme
- School sport competitions or events
- Intra–regional events or competitions (unless discussed with the relevant DSR Regional Manager)
- Regular competitions.
How much funding is available?
Funding is available based on two support schemes:
- Team funding.
Team funding can be assessed when four (4) or more athletes from the one sport who meet the eligibility criteria are travelling to the same event or championship.
Individual funding support
Where athletes who meet the eligibility criteria are travelling to an event or championship in Perth, then the following individual funding support will be provided:
- Gascoyne: up to $600 per person
- Pilbara: up to $700 per person
- Kimberley: up to $800 per person.
Where athletes who meet the eligibility criteria are travelling to an inter-regional event or championship, then the following Individual Funding Support will be provided up to:
- Gascoyne: up to $600 per person
- Pilbara: up to $600 per person
- Kimberley: up to $600 per person.
Team funding support
If four (4) or more athletes who meet the eligibility criteria are travelling to the same event or championship in Perth then the following team funding support will be provided:
- Gascoyne: up to $2000 per sport
- Pilbara: up to $2300 per sport
- Kimberley: up to $2500 per sport.
If four (4) or more athletes who meet the eligibility criteria are travelling to the same inter-regional event or championship then the following team funding support will be provided up to:
- Gascoyne: $2000 per sport
- Pilbara: $2000 per sport
- Kimberley: $2000 per sport
How does a sport apply?
If your organisation and athlete(s) meets the eligibility criteria for the North West Travel Subsidy, you will be required to complete an application form and contact your regional office to discuss your application.
How many times can an organisation apply?
Only one application per event or championship per financial year can be submitted.
What happens when an application is submitted?
An assessment will be made to determine if the application is eligible by assessing it against the criteria. If approved, a Grant Agreement will be entered into which outlines the grant conditions and acquittal requirements.
Once the Grant Agreement has been signed and returned to the relevant regional DSR office, the grant will be paid directly to the applicant body (organisation/association).
Grant monies will not be paid directly to an individual.
The applicant body will be responsible for the acquittal of the grant and will be responsible to ensure the funding is used for the purpose it is intended.
Do I need to provide evidence that the agreed outcomes have been achieved?
At the completion of the project, the applicant body will need to complete the acquittal documentation (“Acquittal Statement” and “Key Results Schedule”) and forward to the department to demonstrate that the funds have been spent in accordance with the Grant Agreement.
Failure to comply with these requirements will jeopardise future funding from the Department.
For more information on regional funding, please contact your regional office.