SilverSport logo standalone May 2016

SilverSport supports seniors aged 60 years and over to participate in sport and active recreation.

SilverSport allows eligible seniors to apply for financial assistance to contribute towards sport club memberships or physical activity program fees of up to $200 per person subject to available funding.

To be eligible to receive financial assistance through SilverSport, an applicant must:

  • Be aged 60 years or older;
  • Have a valid health care card or pensioner concession card; and
  • Be a current resident of the participating local government.

SilverSport is pilot project and available from 1 April 2017 until 31 December 2017 in the local governments of:

From 1 July 2016 until 30 June 2017 SilverSport ran in the local governments of:

The Department is pleased to have supported over 1100 seniors from these areas to participate in sport and active recreation through this pilot program. These seniors have accessed funding for sport and active recreation activities such as swimming, bowls, tennis, Pilates, joining a gym, golf and more. It has been great to assist them to get active and connected to their community through SilverSport.

All SilverSport seniors are encouraged to continue their activity where possible or transition into other free or low-cost local options.  

Lawn bowlers at Belmont

Frequently asked questions

How long will SilverSport be available?

SilverSport is a pilot program within participating local governments. SilverSport is available in the local government areas of Belmont, Coolgardie, Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Kwinana and Northam, subject to funding.

SilverSport will be available to City of Albany and City of Bunbury residents from 1 April 2017 until 31 December 2017, subject to funding.  

What if I don’t have a health care card or pensioner concession card?

If you do not have a health care card or pensioner concession card, then you are unfortunately ineligible for SilverSport. If you are in financial difficulty, you can apply for one of these cards through the Australian Government who will complete an income and assets test to determine if you are eligible.

Is my seniors card considered a concession card?

The WA seniors card is distributed to all seniors aged 61 years and over who work less than 25 hours per week. It is not means tested and therefore cannot provide an indication of socioeconomic status. A valid health care card pensioner concession card must be shown to demonstrate eligibility for SilverSport.

Is my Department of Veteran Affairs card eligible?

The only DVA card that is accepted is the pensioner concession card. This is income and asset tested with the same eligibility criteria as the pensioner concession card distributed to non-veterans by Centrelink. The DVA white, orange or gold cards are not income and asset tested and therefore will not be accepted for the SilverSport program.

What if the fees for a season, membership or activity are more than $200?

SilverSport funding is limited to $200 per applicant. Recognised SilverSport providers can only invoice the local government for this maximum amount. Applicants will be required to fund the balance.

Can SilverSport cover my social membership fees?

SilverSport aims to assist seniors to increase their physical activity levels. SilverSport funding cannot be used to cover non-playing or social memberships. 

If I don’t spend the whole $200 will you hold the remaining funds for me to use at a later date?

There is a finite amount of SilverSport funding available in the pilot program and funds are unable to be held for each applicant. SilverSport will be issued on a first-in first-served basis until funds are fully expended.  

How do I know what clubs or programs are eligible for me to join?

All clubs, community organisations, recreation centres or businesses running sport and active recreation activities need to register as SilverSport providers before they can accept SilverSport applicants. SilverSport providers can register with the local governments involved at any time throughout the program. A list of all approved providers will be available through your local government.

How do I register my club?

Sport and active recreation clubs who have masters or veterans leagues for seniors aged 60 years and over can apply to be a SilverSport provider by completing a SilverSport provider registration form.

I am not a club - How do I register to be a SilverSport provider?

After ensuring you meet the eligibility criteria, you need to complete the SilverSport provider registration form. You will be contacted by the local government with the outcome of your application. 

When should we invoice the local government?

SilverSport providers should invoice the local government for the cost of the applicant’s fees within 30 days of the first attendance.

More information

For more information on the SilverSport program please contact Sport and Recreation (WA).

Sport and Recreation (WA)
Telephone 08 9492 9700
Email SilverSport Team