Community Participation Funding
This scheme funds initiatives that target low participation populations, particularly culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) and indigenous.
Download an application form
Download the guidelines
Closes 15 May 2014
Who can apply:
- Sport and recreation community organisations/clubs*
- Other community not-for-profit organisations.
- Regional local governments.
Contact your DSR for further information
The funding is open all year round, and grants are limited to between $1000 and $5000.
Projects need to increase participation of sport and active recreation or develop the skills of the people involved in your organisation or local community.
Does your project increase participation or develop people?
Grant applications must be for projects that target either ‘Participation’ or ‘People Development’ outcomes.
A more physically active society in which sport and recreation maintain and increase their contribution to community wellbeing.
How will your project increase the physical activity levels of target groups who currently have low participation rates?
All providers of sport and recreation in Western Australia are well informed, skilled and resourced.
How will your project improve the skills of the volunteers or staff of your organisation or community group that is targeting low participation groups?
Application lodgement dates
Application forms can be submitted at any time until 15 May 2014. The Department of Sport and Recreation (DSR) will advise if your project is successful in gaining funding within six weeks of receipt of application.
To be eligible for funding, projects are not to commence before approval has been granted by DSR. No retrospective funding will be considered.
Who can apply?
- Sport and recreation community organisations/clubs (*who are not currently receiving Organisation Sustainability Funding)
- Other community not-for-profit organisations
- Regional local governments
What can funding be used for?
- Running of programs
- Coaching clinics
- Volunteer training
- Coaching courses
- Referee/umpire courses
What is not considered for funding?
- Construction of sport or recreation facilities
- Projects being undertaken outside of Western Australia
- Projects which commence before applications are approved
- Additional funds for a project already funded by a DSR grant program
- Prize money/trophies
- Merchandise e.g. clothing/promotional material
- One off camps and events
- Membership fees
- Catering costs
- Any program targeting school age children must occur outside of school hours
- Purchase of equipment (except in extenuating circumstances for specialist/adaptive equipment. The applicant must clearly demonstrate it is essential for the project to occur)
- No more than 10% of the total funding request may be allocated to administration costs
- No more than $500 may be allocated to promotion and/or advertising costs. This may include website or booklet productions if incidental to the program
- Existing projects that target the same participants and or location will generally not be supported
- Travel to sport or recreation events/meetings/conferences
- Communities greater than 500km from Perth may be
eligible for support to cover travel and accommodation costs for service
providers based in Perth (not to be used for program participants). This is an
allocation within the overall $5000 budget and will be considered on a case-by-case
- Up to $1500 above the 26th Parallel e.g. Broome, Carnarvon, Exmouth, Karratha, Port Hedland
- Up to $1000 over 500km e.g. Coolgardie, Kalgoorlie, Kalbarri, Meekatharra, Leonora, Esperance, Wiluna
What is the application process?
- Read the guidelines for Community Participation Funding.
- Complete the application form.
- Submit the application to your closest DSR office. All regional applications need to be submitted to the DSR regional Office.
- DSR will advise if your project is successful in gaining funding within six weeks of receipt of your application. You will be advised how funds will be distributed to your organisation so the project can be implemented.
- After you have completed the project, organisations will submit an acquittal form including completed income and expenditure details to DSR.
How will my application be assessed?
Eligible applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- You contacted a DSR consultant to discuss your project
- The organisation has public liability insurance
- The organisation is incorporated and has an ABN
- The project targets low participation groups
- The project will increase participation or skill development of the target group
- The organisation demonstrates its capacity to deliver the outcomes of the project
- The project will be undertaken within specified timeframes as negotiated
- Priority will be given to projects that can demonstrate sustainability of the program
What if my organisation is GST registered?
- If your organisation has an ABN and is registered for GST the grant will be 'grossed up' by 10% of the grant amount.
- If your organisation has an ABN and is not registered for GST no GST is allocated.
Freedom of information
DSR will adhere to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1992 in relation to requests for information originating in the department. Information not originating in the department but provided to the department will not be released without prior consultation or permission given by the relevant organisation.
All information provided to DSR and gathered during the grant assessment process will be stored on a database that will only be accessed by authorised departmental personnel. The database is subject to privacy restrictions in accordance with the Privacy Act 1998 (Commonwealth) and the Freedom of Information Act 1992.
Successful programs will be required to acknowledge DSR. Details will be advised to successful applicants.
Three Community Participation Funding case studies
To discuss your project concept, or to obtain help to complete your application, please contact:
Contact details for the Community Participation Funding
Project Officer Community Participation
246 Vincent Street, LEEDERVILLE WA 6007
PO Box 329, LEEDERVILLE WA 6903
Telephone (08) 9492 9840
Facsimile (08) 9492 9711
For regional areas, please contact your local DSR regional office.