About our recreation camps
The Department of Sport and Recreation provides five fantastic recreational camps situated around greater Perth and in Albany.
Our camps are more than a physical site available for group bookings. They are special places where Western Australians of all ages can participate in unique outdoor activities. Whether it's conquering that first abseil, team success at crossing the 'acid river' or the wonderful feeling of sharing a campfire with new friends, your camp experience will be a rewarding one.
Our mission at the Department is to enhance the life of Western Australians through their participation and achievement in sport and recreation. We serve this mission as they are designed to provide physical activity and experiential learning opportunities through participation in outdoor activities.
Our camps are committed to encouraging maximum participation in a wide range of activities and programs. We believe that those who engage in our activities and programs will:
- learn skills related to a particular physical activity and be confident participants in the future
- enhance their interpersonal and leadership skills
- improve their self-management, decision making and time management skills
- learn to appreciate the outdoor environment for future sustainability.
Promoting participation in physical activity is our main aim because we realise the added value sport and recreation has on our wellbeing. Therefore, we will always aspire to provide a safe and supportive environment for the WA community to attain the holistic benefits that come from quality physical activity.
Why come to camp?
Camp programs and overnight stays have the power to transform participants through the experiences they obtain in a brief space of time. Our camps provide a range of adventure recreation opportunities designed to challenge participants outside their comfort zone. Overnight communal living environments empower participants to develop various skills away from home, school or the office.
Some benefits include:
- Development of communication, interpersonal, leadership and cooperation skills
- Increased interest in accepting responsibility, organisation, self-discipline and independence
- Awareness and management of emotions
- Understanding of responsible risk taking
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Improved decision making and problem solving
- Encouragement and incorporation of an active, healthy lifestyle
- Reduction in antisocial behaviour
- Outdoor recreational skills
- Most importantly - fun!
Our four metropolitan camps each offer unique recreation and accommodation. From the tranquil bush setting at Bickley, a river retreat at Point Walter, to our coastal camps at Woodman Point and Ern Halliday, you will find the perfect location for your school, community or corporate group.
Our regional camp offers many opportunities to explore Albany and the Great Southern. Situated on the harbour, Camp Quaranup is fast becoming a popular regional destination.
Not only are the Department’s recreation camps located in some of the best spots in Perth (and one in Albany), they are also run by highly-qualified staff.
Our instructors deliver a range of outdoor recreation programs, including paddle sports, team-building activities, abseiling, high ropes, rock climbing and surf life saving. They are often qualified in a range of disciplines and all are current senior first-aiders.
Interested in joining our team? View our instructor page for more information.